Thursday, January 21, 2010

"Programming Media" Response

So I suppose I will start this response by stating that I am confused, and not quite sure what I should be writing. My confusion, however, isn’t due to the assignment being unclear.

After reading “Programming Media” by Casey Reas, I couldn’t help but sit and stare at my computer screen blankly for a few minutes. The article was well written, and the vocabulary that was used made the content feel as though it was accessible, but at the end of it all I’m not quite sure what I actually gained from that article, as the actual concepts are still so foreign to me.

For example, when Reas discusses how some different types of software can interpret gesture: “mapping the structure of each gesture into sounds that reflect it’s degree of curvature”, my immediate internal response is something along the lines of: ‘excuse me, come again?’ I am fully aware that computers can be programmed to do incredible complex things, but as I am not yet a well-versed programmer, the actual concept, to me, still seems very abstract, unapproachable and unattainable by anyone that isn’t in a science fiction movie. I am quite interested by art that is created by different programming languages, but at the same time I feel very conceptually removed, as I have no idea what it took to do that. All I really know is that I think it looks cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment